Why Do You Write Songs?
So this was a message I heard today about the difference between a pro songwriter and an amateur songwriter. If you’re amateur you write the song first, pro has a reason for writing the song. As Paul McCartney said in a radio interview in 2006 “we were trying to write hit songs” at the beginning.
Intention: Why are you writing this specific song?
- To play to my family
- To release as my own song
- To win a songwriting contest
- What genre? Who are the judges? How do they judge? What “rules” do they have?
- To try to get another artist to play it
- What genre? Have they used other people’s music before? What kind of songs are they making now?
- To get it on TV or movie or commercial
- To play it live at a performance
- To think through an idea